RE: [Xen-users] X-Windows on a virtual machine

To: "James Colannino" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] X-Windows on a virtual machine
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:14:58 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:16:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'll try not to be the opposite of what your G. Eliot quote says...

If by VGA you actually mean emulated VGA, then yes, you can't use that
in para-virtual (or xenified) guest, as they don't have that sort of
device-model. The qemu-dm that is used by the HVM (unmodified) guests is
simply not there in para-virtual guests.

You can still use for example vncserver or ssh -X to run x-windows APPS
on your DomU - which is close to what you end up doing with qemu-dm in
the HVM guest too, since the HVM guest draws to a window within your
(X-)display on the host.

I hope this is clear...

--
Mats