Re: [Xen-users] Can we run more virtual machine than the memory avaible?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can we run more virtual machine than the memory avaible?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:48:01 +0100
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Rachid Abdoun <rachid.abdoun@xxxxxxxxxx>, Harald Schioeberg <schioebe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:51:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > It's a big problem for me if you create a virtual network with 100
> > hosts (30MB per host) you need 3 Go per host!!  I think this is the
> > disadvantage  of xen
>
> It may be a disadvantage, but it happens to be the design choosen for Xen.
> Xen has limitations, which may cause it to be a disadvantage in some
> respects.

Yes.

Note that you can still swap within the domains, and the domains themselves
are able to make better (well, more informed) resource management decisions
regarding swapping that the rest of the machine.

It'd be nice to support bursty memory usage patterns (e.g. if only a few
virtual machines are wanting lots of memory then give it to them).  This
should be possible to automate using the balloon driver, without requiring
actual overcommit.

> We could obviously use Dom0 for the swapping process (at least in the sense
> of using it's disk drivers), so that's not a big issue.

Yep, we'd need some sort of Xen<->dom0 interface for doing the swapping, and
updating the memory map.

It'd certainly make things a bit complicated.  For instance, I'd imagine it
would make it less straightforward for guests to manage their own pagetables
(who gets control over the "present" bit?), and running guests on shadow
pagetables would be less efficient.

> The hypervisor has
> NO KNOWLEDGE of what's in which page, so it's not able to choose a page
> correctly.

Yep.  In fact, if guests can swap too it's even worse: double paging can occur
if a guest wants to page out data that's already paged out by the hypervisor.
The hypervisor must fault it back in because the guest accessed it, but the
guest immediately pages it out again.  Ouch.

> Of course, the OS has some special call that is called when the
> system is to "lock" a page in memory, and in a para-virtualized
> environment, this could be intercepted and used to prevent the pages from
> being paged out. But in the case of a unmodified OS, this would definitely
> not work, as there's not a single special operation to track this
> information - the OS would just have some internal table of some sort
> (binary tree, hash-list, linear array, bitmap or whatever the OS designer
> decided was the best way to track a bunch of memory pages...)

Well, locking shouldn't be a problem except in domains with physical device
access.  You wouldn't want to page those!

However, there are still the semantic issues that performance-related
information is being lost because it's not visible to the hypervisor.  I
believe IBM have / are considering some features in z/VM to allow guests to
hint the characteristics of their pages to the hypervisor so that it can make
better decisions.  The Disco hypervisor used to use a weird swap device to
avoid double paging (not sure how applicable that would be to Xen, though).
And I suspect there's some interesting work that could be done in trying to
infer characteristics of guest pages without the guest hinting.

VMware ESX hypervisor allows overcommit of memory (don't know about other
VMwares, but I suspect they might allow swapping, they're not hypervisors
tho).  It also uses a combination of unifying identical pages, and balloon
drivers to maximise memory efficiency without resorting to swap, though.
It's quite a complicated scheme, but it'd more obvious in ESX since they use
shadow pagetables and have device drivers in the hypervisor already.

Cheers,
Mark

> I don't think this will be implemented in Xen for a LONG time.
>
> --
> Mats
>
> > Le 22 juin 06 à 15:22, Harald Schioeberg a écrit :

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!