Re: [Xen-users] Is it possible to run Xen under QEMU?

To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is it possible to run Xen under QEMU?
From: Adam Nielsen <adam.nielsen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:37:35 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:38:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I would not use Xen's performance under QEMU as a basis for such a
> decision.

Oh I'm not doing it to evaluate the performance, just to learn how Xen
works, how you configure domUs, etc.  (I can't take a production
server down for a day or two just to learn how to set up Xen :-))  I'm
pretty certain it'll be faster than UML, and if Xen doesn't lock up
with heavy disk access it'll be a lot more reliable than UML is right
now ;-)

> Why won't Xen run on your desktop?

For some reason the Intel ICH6 SATA drivers timeout running under Xen,
and so the kernel boots without recognising my hard drive and complains
when it can't mount the root filesystem.  Same kernel options running
natively without Xen works fine.

> FWIW, Xen runs quite nicely under QEMU.  Just make sure to disable
> kqemu (-no-kqemu).  The last version of kqemu that worked was 0.7.1
> IIRC if you're desperate for extra speed.

Ah!  Excellent - disabling kqemu fixed the problem and init now runs -
hooray, at long last I can run Xen! :-)

Thanks,
Adam.