Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.2 guests never start properly

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.2 guests never start properly
From: Tobias <kuzum@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:20:00 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:20:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
on ubuntu-dapper:

apt-get install
iproute bridge-utils python-twisted gcc binutils make zlib1g-dev python-dev transfig bzip2 screen debootstrap libcurl3-dev libncurses5-dev linux-source-2.6.15 kernel-package

then follow: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_xen3_debian_p3

this works.

Me Myself schrieb:
HELP!!!!

I have been working diligently for the past 2 weeks trying to get Xen 3.0.2 up and running on Kubuntu 6.06, Fedora Core 5, and Mandriva 2006.0 without any success.

First off, the machine specs:

Gateway M460 Notebook
Intel Centrino M750 processor (1.8GHz)
eth0: Broadcom T3
eth1: IPW2200 Wireless
80 GB hard drive
1 GB Memory
ATI Radeon M600 video with 1280x800 LCD screen.

Now the issues:

Regardless of the distro I have installed, the following issues occur consistently.

1) I cannot compile from the source code, regardless of what I try. I've tried with gcc 3.3, gcc 3.4, and the gcc 4.x compilers. In each case about 50% of the way through the compiles, my machine shuts down.

-- Workaround = Install from Binaries

2) Following an install from the Binaries (and for FC5, I've tried the xensource tgz, the xensource rpm and the fedora core quickstart installation methods), I boot up the machine and check out Dom-0. Everything is fine. But when I install a guest OS (either by following the howto's at howtoforge, or any of the 20 or so howtos available on the web) and try to start the guest using "xm create {guest-name} -c", my guest starts, then after displaying the line "Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... Ok.", the guest appears to stop doing anything. But when I look at "xm list" it shows the guest domain running at well over 99% cpu. ( e.g: At startup, Domain-0 showed Time of 46.8, now it is at 77.9, but my guest's Time is at 1773.9).

And in both cases above, a detailed investigation of the log files says nothing AFAICT. The last line in the xen logs just says my guest domain is "unpaused"

So here are the questions:

1) Why can't I compile?

2) Why can't I get my guests to get me a login prompt?

3) What do I need to do to get this thing working?

Sincerely,

Eric