[Xen-users] Re: Dom0 64bit & DomU 32bit Guest-OS?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Dom0 64bit & DomU 32bit Guest-OS?
From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:45:09 +1000
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:50:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> was wondering, if it makes any sense to install a 64bit Gentoo Linux with Xen
> in Dom0.
>
> Is it possible, to run 32bit DomU installations, if Dom0 is 64bit?

32-bit *userland* (libc and up) on a 64-bit kernel.

> Somewhere it was mentioned, that it somehow should be possible, to run a
> 32bit
> DomU if it was using a 64bit kernel due to the fact, that 32bit binaries can
> be run in a 64bit Linux without problems.

Well, x86 binaries can run on an x86_64 CPU (because it was designed that
way) -- there are more 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs than x86, though... <grin>

I can definitely say that you can run a 32-bit userland on a 64-bit Xen domU
kernel, because I'm doing it now.  Don't try running a 32-bit domU kernel on
a 64-bit hypervisor, though -- they're not happy room mates.

- Matt