Re: [Xen-users] Windows 2003 Guest on Xen?

To: "Turk, JohnX" <johnx.turk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows 2003 Guest on Xen?
From: Michael Walker <Michael.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:43:03 -0700
Cc: "Krig, Steve B" <steve.b.krig@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:43:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes - I (finally) got this going a couple of days ago.

The 'trick' I found was from the following post:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-06/msg00208.html

In that posting is the following little tidbit:

Here is a method how to  install guest Windows XP (using you patch) by
telling Windows what kind of platform at Windows setup (this is true for
Win2k, 2003 and XP):

After passing the 1st screen of windows setup of install XP, the first
thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to press F6
if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6. Press
F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL .The choices
are:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC ACPI Uniprocessor PC Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC MPS Uniprocessor PC MPS Multiprocessor PC Standard PC Standard PC with C-Step i486 Other

Select "Standard PC". This will allow the installation to complete in
about 20 minutes.

Once I found out about the secret handshake of pressing 'F5' and selecting
a HAL - both WindowsXP & Windows2003 installed without a problem.

I still have some issues with the vnc/mouse support for the console,
but using 'rdesktop' to connect to the booted machine nicely
get's around that.

I hope to post a report of my progress to the alias in the next day
or two in the hopes of helping others in the future.

Good Luck,
  _Mike_

Turk, JohnX wrote:
I was just wondering if anybody has ever successfully installed Windows Server 2003 as a guest OS running on Xen? I’m attempting to perform an installation from a CD on VT-enabled hardware. The Windows installer will begin to run, with its typical blue installer screen, but just seems to stop running at the part “Setup is Starting Windows”. I checked the xm dmesg, and I don’t see anything useful there…

Also, I’ve seen in the mailing list archives that some people have been using the serial port output. Does this provide more information than the xm dmesg?

Thanks,

John Turk