[Xen-users] AMD SVN and Xen3

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] AMD SVN and Xen3
From: Marco <bigfoot29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:39:07 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:36:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So, as promised, here an first summary.

Hardware: AMD Athlon64 X2-4600+ with Asus M2N-Mainboard.
Just a short hint: By far not all memory modules work with the Asus
boards! Make sure to have compatible ones...

After 2 days of trial and error I got the following results:

Debian "Sarge" x64: Doesn't like the new nVidia SATA-Controller (will
check today with PATA-interface)

Debian "Etch" x64: Trouble with installation (setup freezes when
installing more than the pure core). After this is working, I tried HVM
- without much luck. After setting it up (.hvm config file) like
mentioned in the manual, it just reboots the computer without any
error-message. No clue why. All modules mentioned in the manual are
installed... Didn't try paravirtualization here.

Debian "SID"/unstable x64: Installs with many problems. Virtual
paravirtualized domains stop with the comment "can't connect to network
backend" - didn't try HVM due to problems with mentioned trouble.

So all in all no luck. But there is a question: Does AMD64's SVM
(Pacifica) work also when being in 32-Bit-mode? When thats the case I
can check if the stuff is working using debian "Sarge" (thats supposed
to work well) and maybe update later to AMD64 when Etch becomes stable.

Anyone knowledge about that?

Regards, Bigfoot29