Re: [Xen-users] Guest domain with PCI frontend disabled IRQ, backend dev

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Guest domain with PCI frontend disabled IRQ, backend device dies
From: Itai Tavor <itai@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 18:23:05 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 01:23:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 05/06/2006, at 5:25 PM, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

Itai Tavor <itai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm having a problem with a guest domain which is using PCI cards.
The symptom is that as soon as one of the cards is accessed in the
guest, the guest's console shows "Disabled IRQ #16" and the whole
system loses networking. Networking is restored when I shut down the
guest.

I have exactly the same problem, with an athlon running NetBSD/ i386, IRQ
5 is allocated to ethernet, USB and the video capture board. I try to
export the video capture board to domU, but when the domU kernel try to
use it, the machine loose networking. Obviously, IRQ are not correctly
routed.

I have not found how I can allocate a different IRQ to this board.

Sounds like you're not using acpi... when I tried that I had even worse IRQ problems. With it on at least the kernel can allocate IRQ's above 15 so it can avoid sharing interrupts, it only falls down when a guest uses the same ones...