[Xen-users] rxbuf_{min,cur,max}

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] rxbuf_{min,cur,max}
From: Naoya Maruyama <naoya.maruyama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:02:59 +0900 (JST)
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:03:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm using Xen 3.0.0. I wonder what the kernel options under
/proc/xen/net/eth0, rxbuf_{min,cur,max}, are.

At first, we saw quite a few tx-packet drops on dom0's
vif1.0, where rxbuf_cur was always 8. After changing rxbuf_min to 256,
which is the same as rxbuf_max, we've never seen such drops.

I could only find a short commit message on the interface:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-changelog/2005-05/msg00033.html

>From the message, I guess they exist for configuring the buffer size
of domU's virtual NICs. Are these options meant to be configured
manually for better performance? If so, how many bytes are rxbuf_cur
, say 8, going to consume?

Thanks,

Naoya