Re: [Xen-users] Contending RAM

To: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Contending RAM
From: tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:08:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Andy Davidson <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:07:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AFAIK, having xen do virtual memory is out of the question... it would
need all sorts of device drivers etc that are (as I understand it)
purposely not part of xen. (e.g. xen doesn't know what a disk is, let
alone a SCSI/IDE/SATA driver is...)

However. It seems to me, that you might be able to get dom0 to do this...
How about creating a big tmpfs filesystem in dom0, putting some big files
on that and exporting those to the various domU to use as swapdevices?

Assuming it works, the effect should be something close to swapping to a
ramdisk. Slower than running on real memory, but faster than swapping to
disk.

I don't generally have much cause to work with sparse files, but I image
the swapfiles could be initialized as sparse files, which would save
a number of resources on startup.

Anyone care to experiment and report back?

-Tom