[Xen-users] Re: [Fedora-xen] Easiest way to compile custom kernel, for f

To: "Gawain Lynch" <gawain.lynch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Fedora-xen] Easiest way to compile custom kernel, for fedora +openswan+xen+patchomatic
From: "Tom Bishop" <bishoptf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:04:06 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 May 2006 06:04:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That would be grea tif you could send that, but I would also like to know how to do this myself.  Could you explain in more detail how you did this?  So it looks like you took the FC5 SRPM, and the endian SRPM and ported the changes (how did you arrive at the changes).  You also stated that you got patch-o-matic from SVN (not sure what that is) and updated a few things, I take it that you ran patch-o-matic and installed some options?

I really appreciate your reply and I hop it isn't too much trouble to provide some more detail.  Thanks.

On 5/29/06, Gawain Lynch < gawain.lynch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 00:19 -0500, Tom Bishop wrote:
> I want to compile a custom xenU kernel for a firewall distribution
> (endianfw, version of ipcop), I can get it to load up but the kernel
> is missing some modules that aren't resident.  So I want to make a
> custom version for this domU, I know what I need kernel+openswan+xen
> +patch-o-matic but I not sure the best way to go about this, do I
> patch a fedora source or start with a vanilla kernel?  I know what I
> want but am unsure what is the best way?  I have read that this has
> been done under cool configurations but they didn't go into much
> detail.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi Tom,

I am working on a similar thing.  What I have done is taken the FC5
kernel SRPM and ported the changes from the one from Endian developer
SRPMS (based on FC3).

You will need to grab patch-o-matic from SVN and update a few things but
all will build and boot OK.

If you like I can send you the updated SRPM I have built (based on
2122).

Take care,

Gawain