[Xen-users] Re: Can XEN be installed onto a running system?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Can XEN be installed onto a running system?
From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 18:23:03 +1000
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 May 2006 02:28:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:52:54AM +0800, CS - Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> Can I install XEN on an installed machine?

Yes, although you'll need to reboot before Xen will actually be running, as
it replaces your kernel.

> Can I use the installed partition as / in a virtual machine?

Technically, your dom0 is a virtual machine, so the trivial answer to your
question is a simple 'yes'.  However, I assume that what you want to know is
if you can convert your current running system to become a domU running
under your Xen system.

The answer is 'yes', but it's a little involved to make it happen.  What you
need to do is make some free space on your HDD, install a new minimal system
in there, install Xen in there, and then create a domU config file that maps
the previous system's block devices into the domU.  Then edit the fstab in
your new domU, cross your fingers, and boot it up.

I've done it a bunch of times over the last few weeks, as existing
development servers got turned into Xen machines, but it's not a job for
your first Xen installation, really.  Better to find someone who knows Xen
and partitioning fairly well or (preferably) has done this operation
already.

- Matt