Re: [Xen-users] File-based FS vs others

To: "Stephen Yum" <steveyum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] File-based FS vs others
From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 16:44:53 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:45:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/23/06, Stephen Yum <steveyum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm curious about this method. It seems very convenient, jailtime.org
has a bunch you can simply download and run. But how are they in
terms of performance? Can't imagine it can be good to use as a disk-
intensive, production domU.

Does anyone know how it compares to say straight IDE partition, IDE +
software RAID, or even IDE + software RAID + LVM?

While at it, what do you all think is the best domU FS setup?

Newbie question.

Can't you create a partition bigger than the filesystems at jail.org, then use dd to put them on the raw partition?

ie.
download the filesystem from jail.org as the file orig_file_from_jail.org
dd if=orig_file_from_jail.org of=/dev/hda6 bs=4k

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group