[Xen-users] detecting paging inside of VMs

To: "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, twwood@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] detecting paging inside of VMs
From: "Tim Wood" <twwood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:25:22 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:25:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This may be more of a developer question, but I'll ask here first.

I'd like to be able to detect when a VM is pressed for memory and as a result is paging lots of pages out to disk.  Can anyone famliar with the xen internals tell me if it is feasible to detect from inside the xen hypervisor when a VM is doing this?

I'm willing to do some hacking, but I'm not even sure if that kind of information can be obtained in the hypervisor.  I'd rather not modify the user level xen kernels if possible.

Thanks for any info!
-Tim