Re: [Xen-users] How to make an exact copy of the VPS

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to make an exact copy of the VPS
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:01:57 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 May 2006 05:04:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 15 May 2006 4:32 am, Sadique wrote:
> But I don't think openvz is easy to administer and install. Right now if
> you are think about a control panel based vps you need to go with
> sw-soft's virtuazzo.  But I don't think openvz or virutuazzo can perform
> as fast as xen.

i don't know about ease of administration; but openVZ might be even faster
than Xen, since they don't create virtual machines to run several kernels.
they run a single kernel, and achieve separation by chroot-like jails (but
much more extensive).  the overhead is almost non-existant.

the drawbacks are that since you're using a single kernel, it's much more
difficult to use 'standard' linux distros.  basically, you're almost limited
to using a single distro for all the 'partitions', but each can be configured
differently, and the root user on one can't administer another.

--
Javier