Re: [Xen-users] FIX: was Re: "Exception starting xend ((2, 'No such file

To: "Frank Meyer" <frank@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] FIX: was Re: "Exception starting xend ((2, 'No such file or directory'))" - what file?
From: "Dick Davies" <rasputnik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:23:15 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 May 2006 07:23:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/05/06, Frank Meyer <frank@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yesterday I had the same problem as you ;-)

> IMO it's usual to assume /var/run is transient, so it might be
> an idea for xenstored to ensure it's created before trying to use it.

Yes, that would be a good idea. This problem appeared here with
the directory /var/run/xend, too. This directory should also be
created by start of xend, e.g. the init script or xend itself.

Someone on ubuntu-users mentioned that, but
...(removes it and reboots to check)...
yeah, /var/run/xend *is* being created properly, with xen 3.0.2.

xenstored just needs  a similar fix.

>> xend ((2, 'No such file or directory'))

Why do the xen tools (like xm) display such boring error messages, e.g.
omitting the name of the file? Yesterday I searched a lot of time with
strace to find the reason why my domU did not start...

Each poor Unix/Linux tool displays missing file names using perror(3),
why not xm?

/usr/libpython/xen isn't much fun to trawl through either ( especially if
you're a ruby programmer :) )

There is an environment variable, XENSTORED_TRACE, that /usr/sbin/xend
suggests should do something, but that just created me an empty logfile.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/