[Xen-users] Unable to boot Xen (3.0.2) on Dell Poweredge 1855

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Unable to boot Xen (3.0.2) on Dell Poweredge 1855
From: "Randolph Nethers" <grnconsulting@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:14:57 -0500
Bcc:
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:16:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is a really long email...my apologies.

Hardware platform: Dell Poweredge 1855 (blade), Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz; 12 MB RAM; PERC 4/IM; mirrored 73 GB U320 SCSI; qLogic 2312 PCI Fibre Channel HBAs.

OS: (currently) CentOS 4.3, gcc 3.4.5

Software: Xen 3.0.2-2

Attempting to boot off local SCSI RAID (mirror)...not the SAN.

I am more of a Solaris person, so forgive me if I don't know all I should about Linux. I'm learning, but a long, long way from guru status.

(I have tried using Red Hat Enterprise 3 update 7, and 4 update 3 with the same results.)

I installed Xen from source, with no problems, following the instructions in the README. (I had to build the bridge-utils software from source, but the other needed software is included.) I did the following to install from the source.

# make KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU" world
# make install

This did exactly what I expected, including placing the following files and links in the /boot directory:

# ls -aF /boot/*xen*
config-2.6.16-xen      vmlinux-syms-2.6.16-xen  xen-3.0.2-2.gz  xen.gz@
initrd-2.6.16-xen.img vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen xen-3.0.gz@ xen-syms-3.0.2-2
System.map-2.6.16-xen  vmlinuz-2.6-xen@         xen-3.gz@

(I did create the initrd-2.6.16-xen.img file myself.(more on this later))

 The Xen entry in my grub.conf file is as follows:

title Xen 3.0.2-2 / XenLinux 2.6
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=262144
       module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=LABEL=/ ro
       module /initrd-2.6.16-xen.img

 When I tried booting from the Xen kernel with the grub config:

title Xen 3.0.2-2 / XenLinux 2.6
       kernel /xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=262144
       module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=LABEL=/ ro

as suggested by the documentation, I observe a kernel panic with the message

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I assume this is because there is no driver support for the PERC 4/IM in the Xen kernel.

So, I thought to create a initrd file, to provide support for the PERC 4/IM. I first had to use the command "depmod 2.6.16-xen" because there was no modules.dep file in /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen. When I attempted to create the initrd file from the 2.6.16-xen directory, it failed because there were no kernel module files for the qla2300 card.

So, I copied the files listed in the modules.dep file for the 2.6.9-34-EL kernel that comes with CentOS 4.3 to the corresponding /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen locations.

/lib/modules/2.6.9-34.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2300.ko: /lib/modules/2.6.9-34.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko /lib/modules/2.6.9-34.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_transport_fc.ko /lib/modules/2.6.9-34.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.ko

I edited the modules.dep line in /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen to read as follows:

/lib/modules/2.6.16-xen/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2300.ko: /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_transport_fc.ko /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.ko

I then was able to create the initrd file, and called it "initrd-2.6.16-xen.img". When I boot with the grub.conf what includes the initrd, we get past finding the root directory, so I guess we now have support for the RAID controller, but now I get another kernel panic. I have not been able to write down much of what is on the screen, except the kernel does not sync, and it cannot find label /.

Oh, the /etc/fstab file reads:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/local            /local                  ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sda3         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Help? I know copying ko files was probably pretty cludgy. Is there a better way? If I were to try to include support for the PERC 4/IM and qLogic hardware into the Xen kernel, how would I do that? I am something of a newbie, so perhaps there is a "HOWTO" out there that could help?

In advance, many, many thanks.

Randy