[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 User Manual revision

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 User Manual revision
From: "Colin Brown" <brownc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 15:53:36 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 May 2006 12:54:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alan,

The Xen Users Manual could be greatly improved with the inclusion of a
trouble-shooting section.  There seems to be a number of issues that
resurface frequently on this list (and certainly in my work) and
consolidating how-to information for resolving problems could save all
of us a lot of time.  While any number of formats would work, I suggest
(at least) a list of things to check for a given problem or error
message.  For example: for the infamous device-not-connected message, a
list of all the things that could go wrong when devices are being
connected from mistyped file names to exhausting the loop device pool.

The checklist should include some general OS items as well as
Xen-specific items.  For example, the checklist for failure of ping
connectivity to a domU might include checking routing as well as
attachment of a VIF to a bridge.  This need not be a full tutorial on
solving Linux (or other) administration problems, but some hints could
be useful.

Thanks in advance for whatever improvements you make to the user
manual,

Colin Brown
Franklin University - CIS