Re: [Xen-users] Debian DomU not properly mounting swap

To: "Daniel Lang" <dlang@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Debian DomU not properly mounting swap
From: "Chris Fanning" <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 18:57:54 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 May 2006 09:59:05 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Daniel,

I had that problem.
Installing udev (and reinstalling xen) fixed it.

Cheers.
Chris.

On 5/4/06, Daniel Lang <dlang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am running Xen 3.0.1 with Gentoo for Dom0 and when I create a DomU
with Debian, the kernel or system does not seem to recognize the volume
I have created for swap on the DomU and will not mount it during boot or
after.

here is the disk section of the xen config for the DomU:

disk = [ 'phy:xen-disks/disk-root,hda1,w','phy:xen-disks/disk-swap,hda2,w' ]

When the DomU is created, the volume is recognized and assigned to
/dev/hda2.  From the xend.log:

  ['root', '/dev/hda1 ro'], ['args', '3']]], ['device', ['vbd',
['uname', 'phy:xen-disks/disk-root'], ['dev', 'hda1'], ['mode', 'w']]],
['device', ['vbd', ['uname', 'phy:xen-disks/disk-swap'], ['dev',
'hda2'], ['mode', 'w']]], ['device', ['vif']]])

However, during the boot up sequence, the following error messages occur
on the console:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
INIT: version 2.86 booting
Will now activate swap.
swapon on /dev/hda2
swapon: cannot stat /dev/hda2: No such file or directory
* Swap activation failed with error code 255.
Will now mount local filesystems.
* Mounting proc filesystems failed with error code 32.
mount: none already mounted or /dev/pts busy
mount: according to mtab, devpts is already mounted on /dev/pts
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
mount: none already mounted or /sys busy
mount: according to mtab, sysfs is already mounted on /sys
* Mounting local filesystems failed with error code 96.
Will now activate swapfile swap.
Done activating swapfile swap.

I do not have this problem when creating DomUs with Gentoo or Fedora
Core.  Could the problem reside with the Debian hotplug subsystem?  I
have reviewed the Xen 3.0/Debian howto at
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_xen3_debian but I cannot find
anything in the howto mentioning this problem.

Any ideas on what might be causing the problem, or suggestions on where
to look for the cause of the problem.  Nothing is standing out in
xend.log, and no output into the xend-debug.log

Thank you for any help or suggestions you might offer.

Dan Lang
--
Daniel Lang

Systems Administrator