RE: [Xen-users] How does Xen present processors to DomUs?

To: "Gregory Cymbalski" <cymbalski@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] How does Xen present processors to DomUs?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 15:23:19 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 May 2006 06:23:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In short: Yes - both are possible, depending on how you set up your
configuration for the domains. You can give Xen free choice to find
whichever processor it fancies for the domain, or you can restrict it to
say Dom0 always uses CPU#0, Dom1 uses CPU#1,#2 and Dom2 & Dom3 uses
CPU#3. Or you could say "Use whatever you like for DomU, as long as it's
not CPU#0", as another example.

> Just to stack two questions, I'm also wondering how safe it
> is to mix and match PAE/non-PAE linux kernels under a PAE
> xen.  PAE should only be necessary in Linux if it's been
> allocated more than 4 gigabytes from Xen, correct?  Thanks
> much for the replies in advance!

At the moment, it's not possible to use mixes of PAE/no-PAE with
para-virtualized Xen. You need to have HWM, hardware virtualization, to
allow mixed memory models (2, 3 or 4 level page tables is essentially
the choice, although it's often presented as 32-bit no PAE, 32-bit PAE
and 64-bit). The reason for this is that Xen handles the page-table(s)
for DomU's, and they need to match between what the Domain thinks it
should be and what Xen actually does - it gets very strange otherwise...
;-)

Theoretically, it would be possible to create an interface for running
PAE in Xen but not in DomU's, but at the moment, this is not
implemented.

Since the interface with HVM (full virtualization) is completely
different, this works fine for running "less or equal levels", i.e.
32-bit guests work on all platforms, PAE works if you have at least PAE
and 64-bit only works if Xen is 64-bit. [Although I think this is "in
theory", because I believe I recently read that running PAE on 32-bit
PAE doesn't ACTUALLY work].

--
Mats