Re: [Xen-users] General Xen setup questions

To: Anthony Valentine <avalentine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] General Xen setup questions
From: Sadique <sadique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 05:50:41 +0530
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 May 2006 17:16:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony Valentine wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I am setting up a couple of Xen servers for the first time and I have
> a couple of questions.  Also, as this is my first attempt at using
> Xen, if you spot anything in my descriptions that  looks to be a
> stupid thing to do, please let me know.
>
> As an overview, I will be running 4-5 domU machines on 2 dom0's .  The
> dom0 machines will be doing nothing but managing the domU machines.  I
> will be using an iSCSI SAN for the storage on my domU machines.  All
> OS's will be FC5.
>

> I have not yet decided whether to put my domU OS's on physical
> partitions or on the SAN.  I am leaning toward using the SAN, as that
> will give me the most flexibility and make live migrations easier.
> Thoughts?

If you go through this mailing lists it self you can see a lot of
discussions about performance of SAN, Physical partition, Lvm partition
and File as vbd. Please do a quick search. I think SAN can provide
better performance than others.

> Anyone know which will preform better: Mapping the iSCSI drives to
> dom0 and assigning them to each domU as a phy (such as /dev/sda) or
> mapping
> them directly on each domU?

Better you use LVM if possible so that resizing would be easy.

> I will have 4GB of physical RAM per physical server.  How much of that
> should I reserve for the dom0's, keeping in mind that they will not be
> running any apps of their own, just managing the domU's?

I use only 64 MB of ram for Dom-0, its functin is controlling dom-U's,
which run 20 live Dom-U's. I have beenwaiting for months to get a cause
to increase the ram for Dom-0, but didn't have any such causes.