[Xen-users] Re: Running Fedora Core 5 on top of SUSE 10.1

To: betancoj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Running Fedora Core 5 on top of SUSE 10.1
From: Noniko <hitumabushi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 09:11:31 +0900
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:12:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Jose,
Sorry for my late reply because of timezone....

I got fedora's root filesystem from block device.
First, I installed SUSE into /dev/hda1 of partitioned HDD.
Then fedora5 into /dev/hda3 of the same HDD.
It's just a dual-boot env.

Kernel xenU was a little tricky. yummed kernel-xenU for fedora could be used, but no virtual network was given from SUSE's Xen.... So I built kernel-xenU from source in SUSE env and placed all files named "-xenU" created, into SUSE's /boot.
initrd was copied from gedora(/dev/hda3)'s boot to SUSE's /boot.

Then config files:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-xenU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img"
memory = 256
name = "Fedora"
vif = [ '' ]
disk = [ 'phy:hda3,hda3,w' ]
root = "/dev/hda3 ro"
extra = "5"

Saving above as /etc/xen/vm/fedora and at last

xm create -c /etc/xen/vm/fedora

Then it goes! and you could get eth0(not configured at booting, but you could configure afterwards).

I believe you could make an image file by copying manually the filesystems of the block device.

I'm afraid my explaiation might not be enough. Please ask me about anything more if you are interested.

noniko