[Xen-users] Xen - Live Migration Architecture

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen - Live Migration Architecture
From: "Ugo PARSI" <ugo.parsi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:08:18 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 00:08:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

My local Xen testing system is running totally fine but now it's time
to switch to the big next step.... live migration and load balancing.

My load balancing scripts are currently working....using the Xen Live
CD in order to test the migration.

I've read that Xen requires the files to be in a shared storage, which
is quite logical...
But I have to admit that I am starting to get lost between all the
different possibilities...

Actually I have a dozen of REAL computer, each with an hard-drive...

Since my only wish is to create an ininterruptable cluster, I would
love to even cluster the filesystems...
I have hundred of unused gigabytes on each hard-drive, but I can't
find a nice filesystem that would do aggregate all these drives inside
a BIG filesystem.

I've seen PVFS, but it doesn't seem really useable for "classical"
data, more scientific ones.
I thought GFS could do the aggregation, but it actually needs an
already shared storage....
There's also GPFS, but it seems like it's a commercial file system...

Any ideas ? Any experiment ?

On the worst case I plan on using a big filer through a NFS share but
is it mandatory to use file backed domUs ? I've read that those were
really slower than the other ones....
The only thing that will change between the domUs, is the /home and
/etc actually.... the system binaries will be shared amongst them....

Any tutorial ? Anything I should be aware of ?

Thanks a lot,

Ugo PARSI