Re: [Xen-users] Virtual network disconnect?

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Virtual network disconnect?
From: hardy-konto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:31:24 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 03:00:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>There is bridging and routing with Xen 2.x as well. I use it a lot.
Erm, i didn't know, thx for information.

>Just to make sure you did not set up intrusion detection
>(e. g. snort inline) which cuts down on network connections
>if traffic reaches a threshold limit. Something like that.
Snort i had set up some months ago, but it isn running.

>I think it cannot be a problem of your general networking
>concept since it works with smaller downloads.
I think so, too.

>So there is either a problem with your kernel or a feature
>you do not remember setting up. :-)
But how to find that?

>Have you tested the same with a different protocol
>(let's say ftp or sftp or smb ...) so make sure the
>problem is not on the application layer?
The problem is _not_ the application (layer): The virtual connection between
dom0 and domU is lost. No ping, no ssh, nothing. The application is still
running and working (tested with xm console and e.g. lynx)
That problem occured with http, ftp and scp.

Hardy

====================================
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Hardy,

Hardy schrieb:

Hi Dirk :)

> a) in which direction does the download go (from domU to net, from net to
> domU, from dom0 to net, ....)?
>From domU to net. A service (here: webserver) offers files to download (like a
>fileserver). If a user (like me at home) downloads the file the breakdown
>happens.

> b) did you setup iptables manually or do you use something like shorewall for
> that?
I set up them manually within a script like that:
$ipt -t nat -A PREROUTING -d $external_ip -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to
192.168.1.5
(packet-forwarding enabled)

> c) what exactly is script-nat?
I think XEN3's nat is like the network in XEN2. New to XEN3 is bridging and
routing, but i don't use them.

There is bridging and routing with Xen 2.x as well. I use it a lot.

every domU has a vifx.y in dom0's address space and its own IP, but there is
automatically routing/natting between them.

> d) did you test if connection is reopened after some time (5 minutes, one
> hour, etc.)?
No, I didn't. How to do that? Why should the connection reopens itself in a
natted net?

Just to make sure you did not set up intrusion detection (e. g. snort inline)
which cuts down on network connections if traffic reaches a threshold limit.
Something like that.

I think it cannot be a problem of your general networking concept since it
works with smaller downloads. So there is either a problem with your kernel or
a feature you do not remember setting up. :-)

Have you tested the same with a different protocol (let's say ftp or sftp or
smb ...) so make sure the problem is not on the application layer?

Dirk

Thx for answering,
Hardy

At 08:58 19.04.2006, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:

Hi Hardy,

Hardy Wolf schrieb:

Hi,

I have a XEN 3.0.1 - Debian Sarge (Rootserver). There is a dom0 with connection
to the internet (WAN-IP) and a domU with a local IP (192.168.x.y). The network
is forwarded with iptables and script-nat.
All works fine until someone downloads a big file (last test ~100 MB). Suddenly
the connection is lost. By checking all circumstances I noticed that XEN is no
longer able to send packets to the domU. The connection from virtual to the
real network is broken.

How can I fix that?
Does anybody know that problem?

In XEN 2.0.7 I had that problem, too.

I think I have a similar setup with Xen 2.0.7, but not the same problem.

Just to make things clear: