Re: [Xen-users] mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
From: Jan-Petter Kruger <jpk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:30:02 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:30:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eernesto,

I'm using lvm2 volumes , on debian sarge, in all domU's. No problem with that. You might want to check out your xen-dom1.cf again.

Your root entry points to /dev/sda2 but you are exporting sda1 to your domU. Also make sure your /etc/fstab in the domU is correct.

I think yous should have something like this in xen-dom1.cf

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-xenU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-xenU"
disk = [ 'phy:data/Dom1-root,sda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
extra = "4"

and  in /etc/fstab in the domU something like

/dev/sda1     /     ext3     errors=remount-ro   0     1

Regards,
Jan-Petter ::-Q

Ernesto Rodriguez Reina wrote:
Hi everyone!

I recently start using xen. I have compiled it and installed in a Dell PowerEdge 2800 Debian Linux box. The dom0 boots ok but i have been experimenting some problems with a LVM2-root domU similar to the one reported in http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-03/msg00678.html but i found no way to make it work.

here is may xen-dom1.cf file:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-xenU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-xenU"
disk = [ 'phy:data/Dom1-root,sda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/sda2 ro"
extra = "4"

and here is what i got:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
SCSI subsystem initialized
register_blkdev: cannot get major 8 for sd
umount: devfs: not mounted
mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
umount: devfs: not mounted
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file

Please, can anybody tellme where is the mistake and who to fix it?

Regards,
Ernesto