Re: [Xen-users] time drift between domU and dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] time drift between domU and dom0
From: Stephan Austermühle <au@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:19:26 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 05:20:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Olaf!

> So time sync between the dom0 and domU domains seems not working.
> Have you any hint how I can solve this problem?

As far as I understand time synchronization (my mail regarding this topic
is not yet answered) your setup works as designed. For my understanding
the domU gets the time from dom0 at startup like a native system gets it
from the hardware clock. Once this is done the guest kernel maintains its
own system clock. Thus you need a ntpd in all of your domUs. If your
guests complain about missing modules or missing dependencies then you
should either install them or recompile your kernel to include the missing
features. I've a setup similar to yours (dom0 synchronizes against a
reference clock, domUs synchronize against dom0 using ntpd) working
without problems.

Stephan