[Xen-users] Re: 32 bit guests on 64 bit xen0 ?

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: 32 bit guests on 64 bit xen0 ?
From: Sean Dague <japh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:04:41 -0400
Cc: Robert Hulme <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:05:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In most cases its not really needed.  Because x86_64 can execute 32bit code
fine, I've done the following to have 32bit guests on 64bit system.

 * Grab a 32bit base image
 * Boot it with a 64bit out of body kernel (i.e. from the dom0 filesystem)
 * Fix up the package tool to force updated packages to i386 instead of the
   detected arch.  This is pretty easy with Yum (Fedora), and URPMI
   (Mandriva)

It's "not quite" 32bit pure, but for most intents and purposes it should
give you what you want.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague