Re: [Xen-users] vhd file format (MS Virtual PC) usage

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vhd file format (MS Virtual PC) usage
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:08:55 +0100
Cc: Geoff Nordli <geoffn@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:11:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Are there any plans to include read/write access to vhd files in Xen?
>
> Or provide some migration tools?

I understand XenSource have licensed the rights to use the vhd format but
don't know any details.  It's possible the licensing might make a Free
implementation problematic, although I honestly doubt there's anything clever
about the format (and reverse engineering is therefore probably possible if
somebody wanted to try it).

VMware's disk format presents fewer problems - there were already open source
implementations that could use it (e.g. Qemu) and they've now released
documentation.

Cheers,
mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.