Re: [Xen-users] Xen3.0x support of anything other than linux 2.6.x

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:56:04PM +0100, Harald Koenig wrote:
> On Mar 13, Heiko Wundram wrote:
>
> > Am Sonntag, 12. März 2006 21:27 schrieb Bodek:
> > > To be honest - if I this all above is correct - you guys made a step
> > > backward with version 3.0. I really dont see how year 2006 would then be
> > > "Xen Year" (saw this on the web - some "very well informed" gave his
> > > article a title in this sense)
> >
> > Xen 3 support for other operating systems (read that, operating systems,
> > not
> > kernel versions) beside Linux 2.6 is in the works, the Xen 3 architecture
> > is
> > barely three months old, so get a grip on yourself and stop whining. This
> > is
> > an open source project after all, so go do it yourself if you're not
> > satisfied.
> >
> > Why'd you want to run a 2.4 kernel anyways? Even with CentOS?
>
> same problem for me: I'd like to run (among other Linux distros)
> e.g. RH 7.1, RHEL-3, SUSE 9.0 etc. on a (virtual) build server
> to compile software for those platforms...
>
> so far we've tried to run SUSE 9.0 with xen 2.6.x kernel but nfstools failed
> to work,
> so right now I still need "real" machines for those 2.4.x based platforms :-(

  if it's just for compiling, i.e. time is not critical, QEmu should be just
fine for this. Compared to the task of trying to get a paravirtualized
RH-7.1 kernel up and running, you probably have a better use of your time :-)

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/