Re: [Xen-users] usb device in domU status

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 01:13 +0100, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I searched the archives for information about USB devices in domU, but I
> didn't understand everything.
>
> Are the changes in the current linux-2.6 hg tree, or do I need some patches?
> I tried the current xen-unstable hg tree.
>
> I have a
>
> usb = [ 'path=4-4' ]
>
> line in my config.
>
> xm create says:
> Error: Device 0 (usb) yould not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> It it possible, to pass an usb port to a domU, and to this port I connect an
> USB hub, and all the devices on the hub will be available in a domU?
> What happens, if someone plugs a device off, that is exportet to a domU?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Johnny

There's a USB support patch floating around to do what you want, but I
haven't tested it myself. What you could possibly do is use the PCI
driver domain support to place your USB controllers (which are PCI
devices) in your domU. That moves *all* USB devices into the domU, not
just a particular hub or device so it may not be what you want. Support
to do this with PCI devices was in Xen 2.0.x, will be in Xen 3.0.2 (when
it is released), and is currently in the xen-unstable tree.

Ryan