RE: [Xen-users] hardware accelerated 3D-graphics in Win-XP-domU possible

To: "Martin Nicolay" <m.nicolay@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] hardware accelerated 3D-graphics in Win-XP-domU possible?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:48:37 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:50:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's not currently possible to achieve this. The reason is that the
guest would not unerstand that the absolute (physical) address of it's
memory isn't actually where it thinks it is [the DomU OS will think that
memory starts at address zero and ends at, say, 512M, but the hypervisor
has actually given it memory around 256MB->768MB].

To solve this, you'd need either an IOMMU implementation, which I know
there's some work to implement the GART version of IOMMU for Xen - but
I'm not sure how well this will work with the fully virtualized guests.
A full IOMMU device won't be avaialble from AMD until next year (2007)
some time (probably more than a year from now).

The other solution is some form of para-virtualized driver that does
understand the situation of memory and such. This could be done with a
fairly trivial front-end/back-end driver pair, where the back-end driver
is talking to a user-mode app that actually does the drawing. Hans Gorm
Jacobsen has developed such a driver setup for para-virtualized systems
and OpenGL, and it works really well (I've saw a demo at Xen-Summit in
January). Of course, it requires a fair bit of work to support all of
OpenGL, DirectX and 2D graphics for Windows - there's a lot of calls to
translate and transfer the information of. But it certainly can be done.

> If this is impossible now, is some development planned in this area?
> Eventually I would wait buying my next pc until the necessary
> cpu features are available.

I don't think there's any concrete plans for this type of development
just yet. It makes sense to do at some point...

I would think you're in for a decent wait.

--
Mats