Re: [Xen-users] VMWare ESX on Xen (maybe OT)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VMWare ESX on Xen (maybe OT)
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:12:54 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:15:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 21 March 2006 7:56 am, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I will want to try VMWare ESX to test new features but I do not have a
> server that meets the ESX requeriments ... but is it possible to run ESX
> under Xen (maybe a silly question)?

most 'userspace' virtualization systems (Qemu, UML, and i guess VMWare) have a
kernel module that gives the userspace application some access to protected
features of the CPU.  usually the very same features that a 'xenified' kernel
have to avoid.

IOW, those systems would have to be Xen-aware to run under Xen, just like the
linux kernel have to be modified.  (that's the "para" in
"paravirtualization")

--
Javier