Re: [Xen-users] How to share data between guest domains

On Saturday 18 March 2006 10:00 pm, Todd D. Esposito wrote:
> That sounds an awfully bad idea.  Most (all?) non-networked filesystems

sure, but here we're talking about cluster-aware filesystems (OCFS,  GFS, and
others).

> However, on that note, I wonder if you could mount the same file system,
> say something like /usr, into multiple domU's READ ONLY.  That could
> certainly save some trouble when updating applications, etc.  Anyone tried
> it?

this could certainly be usefull, 'classical' UNIX servers used to have most of
the system mounted read-only, and just some r/w partitions
for /var, /tmp, /home, and such.  the r/o is sometimes (not very often)
shared among several nodes in SAN clusters.

obviously, for the vast majority of cases, using the same backing store for
different domU's is a bad idea and should be verified by xm.  but there _are_
some cases where it's usefull, and it would be nice if there was some way to
say "Yes, i know it's repeated. Trust me, i know what i'm doing" in the
config file.

--
Javier