Re: [Xen-users] xen, VT and an OS from Redmond

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen, VT and an OS from Redmond
From: Thorolf Godawa <Thorolf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:34:59 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:54:37 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>We're planning to buy a new server with a PentiumD with VT.
well server and Pentium 4 (or D) is a contradiction in terms.

But the Xeon or Opteron with VT/Pacifica are not yet available.

>Unfortunately we have some legacy server software which runs on Windows >only and for that reason I have to install WindowsXP under Xen3. If it's only running as server this should not be a problem, you only get problems with the access to the GUI of Windows.

>What do the experienced people think: Is Xen3 ready for production?
If it is running I had quite good experiences with it. Beside the very poor graphics-performance it is fast and stable, if you use RDP or Citrix to access Windows it is usable.

But it depends very much on the SW you want to use, so the best would be get a cheap iP-4 9xx-system that supports VT and test it before paying a lot for a server!
--

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf