Re: [Xen-users] XEN vs GSX Server

Yo,

I'm a sometime Xen developer so you might want to take what I say with a pinch of salt - I'm biased! ;-)

Has anyone compared XEN against (vmware) GSX Server?

Were you aware VMware are releasing a free (as in beer) GSX-based product? You still have to pay if you want support. Beta release here: http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

Quick bullet points of some of the most important pros and cons (there are others):

Xen + Distro support is present, and is getting better over time. + Maturing; has been around for a few years now, and has a good number of big name contributors (IBM, Redhat, Novell, and others) + Very fast for running Xen-aware OSes + Live migration

- Still not a great solution for running production Windows machines. - May have to patch your kernel (although various distros have Xen-aware kernels now)

GSX
+ Mature product
+ Runs Windows well

- Not so fast
- You have to pay for it, but this'll be fixed by VMware server

My boss wants to use GSX server because he said that it's more stable
and has a good administration interface.

There's always XenOptimiser for administering a Xen box, plus there are other administration interfaces (both open and closed source) likely to be released in the future.

How much the administration interface really matters does depend, to a certain extent, on how many systems your managing. If there's just one then I imagine that the admin interface is less important.

I don't want to use GSX server but I need a very good argument to
convince him.

Hope that helps. Even if GSX suits you better right now, you should keep an eye on future Xen developments as its functionality develops further.

Cheers,
Mark