[Xen-users] Re: budget xen test system

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: budget xen test system
From: Rod <bentton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:15:04 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:16:08 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tom Eastep wrote:

> On Friday 10 March 2006 10:15, William wrote:
>
>> I want to build an inexpensive system to learn and test out XEN. I
>> need a processor for under $100. I'm planning on buying 1GB ram and
>> maybe upgrading to 2GB in the future.
>> Is anyone here using a sempron or celeron d with xen? Is it a really
>> bad idea to use these low end processors?
>

> I'm running Xen very successfully on an Athlon XP 2400+ with 1.5GB of PC2700
> RAM. See http://www.shorewall.net/XenMyWay.html

I'll see that and lower you to a Celeron(Coppermine) 1GHz with
512Mb of memory and an old SiS board that runs Xen 2.0.7 and two virtual
systems. I run Trac&SVN and SVN in two virtual systems with
128Mb each. Runs well enough (especially since until recently I hadn't
passed the swap space through - oops) except that the system seems to go
to sleep after a while and when I want to use svn (which
theoretically is waiting all the time) it doesn't react until I give it
an interrupt by SSH'ing into the machine. Probably a config var
somewhere but I dunno where.

Heck, this is almost like being a proper z/VM sysprog again! Just
30 years of maturity to go :-)

--
Rod