[Xen-users] Re: Using different distro in domain

To: Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Using different distro in domain
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:41:56 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:55:13 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:32:56PM -0700,
 Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 25 lines which said:

> I have Xen installed and working on a Gentoo test server but haven't
> found any information regarding using a different Host and Guest OS.

It is underdocumented (most HOWTOs explains how to run an OS with Xen
and assume that dom0 and domU use this OS) but it works. I currently
run a dom0 Debian which hosts domU running Ubuntu, Gentoo and
ttylinux.

> Is there a way to do this?

You need to find an image of the guest OS somewhere (two very good
sources: http://jailtime.org/ and http://www.xen-get.org/) or to build
it yourself if you have a machine with the guest OS.

In your case, you can simply transfer the existing files to the Xen
machines and then to boot the guest. (True, there are some details
which I did not mention but, most of the times, it works.)