Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI

To: Alvin Starr <alvin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI
From: Badiane Ka <badiane_ka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:09:36 -0800 (PST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:19:26 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The whole drives would be available to dom0 to be
partitioned like any other drives are and the
"targeting" would be handled by vblade I think.  The
reason you would use GFS or any other clustering
filesystem is, as far as understand it, to allow
sharing of files via some sort of mitigated locking
mechanism, since trying that with single system OS'
could lead to corruption of the data without a node
knowing if a file was locked or not .  The
requirements in terms of resources need by iSCSI, as
far as I can tell from the literature, is greater than
AoE.  One thing that I noticed but haven't really
confirmed is that it "was" subject to the 48bit LBA
limit which would somewhat suck when considering that
one cant get a 300GB drive very cheaply.
Ubuntu comes with gfs on install so I've been thinking
that I wouldn't mind working with it.

Here is an interesting article I just came across (I'm
still researching more hands on experiences):
http://eric_rollins.home.mindspring.com/genezzo/cluster.html
http://opengfs.sourceforge.net/
http://opendlm.sourceforge.net/
http://hilli.dk/howtos/ata-over-ethernet-aoe-in-gentoo-linux/