Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI
From: Markus Hochholdinger <Markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:00:11 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:09:57 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 12:38 schrieb Per Andreas Buer:
> Markus Hochholdinger wrote:
> > Background is that i am planing virtual servers within xen and they
> > should get their disks from the network so that i can perform live
> > migration. Has anyone a setup like this working?
> Sure. I've got a similar setup with gnbd. gnbd works like a charm. I've
> heard of people combining gnbd with drbd to get a true HA setup. I've
> only used mine for test and development.

well, my idea of HA is as follows:
 - Two storage servers on individual SANs connected to the Xen hosts. Each
storage server provides block devices per iscsi.
 - On domU two iscsi block devices are combined to a raid1. On this raid1 we
will have the rootfs.

Advantages:
 - storage servers can easily upgraded. Because of raid1 you can savely
disconnect on storage server and upgrade hard disk space. After resync the
raid1 you can do the same with the other storage server.
 - If you use a kind of lvm on the storage servers you can easily expand the
exportet iscsi block devices (the raid1 and the filesystem has also to be
expanded).
 - You can make live migration without configuring the destination Xen host
specially (e.g. provide block devices in dom0 to export to domU) because all
is done in domU.
 - If one domU dies or the Xen host you can easily start the domUs on other
Xen hosts.

Disadvantages:
 - When one storage server dies ALL domU have to rebuild their raid1 when
storage this storage server comes back. High traffic on the SANs.
 - Not easy to setup a new domU in this environment (lvm, iscsi, raid1)

Not sure:
 - Performance? Can we get full network performance in domU? Ideal is we can
use full bandwith of the SANs (e.g. 1GBit/s). And if the SANs can handle this
(i will make raid0 with three SATA disks in each storage server).
 - How is the CPU load on dom0 and domU when using iscsi in domU?

--
greetings

eMHa