Re: [Xen-users] Xen crashes with multiple OpenVPN domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen crashes with multiple OpenVPN domUs
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:17:29 -0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 03:26:56 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:13:47PM -0500, John A. Sullivan III
(jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> We have been very happily building OpenVPN gateway on Xen domUs for the
> ISCS network security management project (http://iscs.sourceforge.net).
> However, we realized that our absurdly long power down and recycle times
> were due to the OpenVPN gateway crashing on exit.
>
> I am not absolutely sure of the problem but, I suspect it was multiple
> tun/tap adapters of the same number even though they were in separate
> domains.  For example, on one host, we had two domUs.  One had tun0
> through tun4 while another had tun0 and tun1.  We could down one of the
> two but, when we then tried to down the remaining domain, it crashed
> very badly.
>
> When we renumbered the tun/tap devices so that no two domains had the
> same number tun/tap interface, the problems went away.  Just thought I'd
> post that to the list in case anyone else hits this in the future - John

If you can capture console output and provide system specs (see attached
script "system-info"), _and_ file a bug report
(http://bugzilla.xensource.com/), we're going to be ahead of the game.

Cheers.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>