Re[2]: [Xen-users] setting up private networking between dom0 and domU?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re[2]: [Xen-users] setting up private networking between dom0 and domU?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:28:26 +0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:37:15 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Mark,

>> What is known about Nvidia plans - do they plan to develop a dom0-only,
>> or maybe even a domU drivers as well?
> dom0 3D drivers are certainly easier (these should also work in a domU that
> has access to PCI graphics card, once PCI-passthrough is working again -
> someone will have to figure out how to make X behave correctly, tho).
Ooh, that sounds promising! Theoretically, if PCI-passthrough could be
enabled and disabled on-the-fly... Does PCI-express still has enough
backward-compatibility to direct PCI-passthrough to it?

> I'm not sure the patches to the ATI driver to make it behave itself under Xen
> have been upstreamed yet.  Once Xen is in the mainline kernel and its
> popularity becomes apparent, hopefully both manufacturers will decide its
> worth testing under Xen.
... though anyway the patched driver is Linux only. So it will help to
run Linux as host, and even, probably, to run Linux as guest, but to
run Windows utilizing all video features, the only way is to write
something generic - and the efforts of manufacturer driver developers
won't much help here (as it helps with dom0), cause the solution
should be at XEN level - right?

>> Is sound card virtualization now working in any form (at least in
>> "3"-mode, by emulation)?
> I'd imagine that's reasonably easy to make work for VT guests.  Paravirt
> guests need to use network sound daemons at the moment, (artsd, esoundd, or
> use FreeNX if you can make it work).
Well, with Linux-as-guest it should be possible - but I think neither
of those network sound daemons can help with Windows-as-guest, right?

>> distribute Windows files over LVM?
> You'd want something like my XenFS for this.  It'll be quite a long time
> before a XenFS client for Windows is available, it'll be Linux-only to start
> with.
Well, but ntldr won't boot from it, I guess. So well, let's stick to
disk images.

--
With best regards,