Re: [Xen-users] vifX.0 has no ip

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vifX.0 has no ip
From: Ralph Passgang <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:10:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:18:55 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Freitag, 20. Januar 2006 21:46 schrieb Ognyan Kulev:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to migrate from Xen 2.0.7 to xen-3.0-testing and in 3.0
> vifX.0 (X >= 1) don't have ip:s.  After I manually set ip address for
> vifX.0, it works.

My xen3 setup also doesn't have any ip's assigned to any vifX.0 interfaces,
but that's fine, because a bridge port doesn't need an IP at all. bridging is
layer2 (ethernet) not layer 3 (ip).

> In 2.0.7, bridging and a custom network script are used.  The network
> script is attached - I don't know where it came from since I wasn't the
> one that installed 2.0.7.  In 3.0, bridging and original scripts are
> used.  The change in domU configuration is only in the kernel used.

I don't know how your domU network config looks like, but are you sure you
have assigned an ip with the same settings like in your dom0 (but of course
another (free) IP from the same subnet)?

could you check with tcpdump if you see pings from dom0 -> domU, and from domU
-> dom0?

what is your domU config look like? is it using the correct bridge devices? I
think it was "xen-br0" in xen 2.0.7 and "xenbr0" in xen3, but I am not sure.

> So does anyone have clue what could be the problem?
>
> Regards,
> ogi

--Ralph