[Xen-users] XEN and DSL (pppd)

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XEN and DSL (pppd)
From: Boris Kröger <boris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:29:55 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:37:11 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

I have a problem using XEN on my internet routing box.
The situation on this box is as follows:
- I use pppd with pppoe for DSL connection
- I have some iptables rules
- I use proxy arp
- I installed XEN (xen-3.0-testing.hg) on it
- I use routing (..-route scripts) in XEN

Aim was to separate the IP traffic for each domU and create the possibility of filtering, traffic shaping etc. in dom0. Therefore my idea was to use proxy arp in combination with point to point routing.

And this is what happens using XEN on my box:
- I boot the machine (DSL is working perfect as ever)
- I start xend (DSL still works)
- I start a domU (it sets up an vifx.0 device) (DSL doesn't work anymore)
- When I now try to ping from dom0 to an outside IP it doesn't work.
- I can ping to any IP on my 192.168.0.x network from dom0 and domU, but not to outside IPs
- changes are only a new route for the domU in dom0 (seem to be ok for me)
(I modified the vif-route script to not setup any iptables rules.)

Tracking packets with tcptump revealed that the pings are seen on the corresponding network interfaces (in case of domU: vifx.0), but not on the ppp0 interface to the internet via DSL. The complete setup works fine for my old non-XEN setup.

I'm not an expert in routing stuff, but I do not know why I can't reach the outside world anymore if I start a domU.

Has anyone observed this before?
Any ideas?

greetings Boris