Re: [Xen-users] How to run Windows on Xen 3.0 with VT

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to run Windows on Xen 3.0 with VT
From: Mogens Valentin <mogensv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:59:32 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:06:09 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:

Xen will build with VT support enabled by default AFAIK. You setup a paravirtualised Linux dom0 as usual. Once you've got dom0 up and Xend running (just like a normal install) you create a VT-x config file - there's an example in the distribution (you'll just need to tweak some options).

Because it's full virtualisation, you should be able to configure it to boot off a CD ROM, then just boot your install CD (or an iso thereof). Subsequently, you can change the default boot drive to the virtual hard disk, and you'll be able to run Windows.

To what avail?
Being able to install unmodified non-graphical (server)systems is a fine thing; graphical systems like W2K3/XP is another talk. No Xen-aware video drivers are available. In a couple of threads, I've argued that Nvidia is interested in developing such a driver, but won't do it until deemed nessesary. It will only happen with applied pressure.

Has the basic framebuffer problem been solved, i.e, can a graphical installer even run?

My take is, with VRM/VT available, expected sometime april/may, it's all possible HW/Xen wise, but the graphical part will have a long way to go. Jacob's OpenGL-based graphics-on-domU's work in progress may be the only working solution, and may at least enable use of graphical-oriented servers and ditto gui administrated apps. Not so sure about things like XP performance, but it may permit XP in a integration testing scenario.

Art Arica3D schrieb:

Does anyone have tips or experience to share on installing Windows
Server 2003 or Windows XP SP2 under Xen 3.0?

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin