Re: [Xen-users] Networking privacy and DomU

To: Martin Dziobek <dziobek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Networking privacy and DomU
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:56:59 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:03:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 16:31 +0100, Martin Dziobek wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm not seeing the wood for trees ...
>
> In Xen 3.0 with standard setup (1 Dom 0, several
> Dom U),how can I prevent a DomU from reading
> the other DomUs network traffic with a sniffer ?
> Can I use bridging at all ?

<snip>
That's a very interesting question.  I have not explored this in any
detail but, it seems to me upon casual observation, that a domU cannot
put the hardware NIC into promiscuous mode.  I have tried to do this
when troubleshooting various network problems.  I have launched tcpdump
in a domU and it does not appear to see all traffic -- only traffic
destined for the domU address.

Again, I did not try to work around it or even completely confirm that
was the case but it is my casual observation.  Perhaps since it is
indeed a bridge, it is like plugging a protocol analyzer into a switch
port -- one only sees broadcast traffic and the unicast traffic for that
port.  I suppose one could use arp poisoning to see other traffic but
that would be true of any switch - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com