Re: [Xen-users] Solved: network problems when starting xend, Xen-3.0 + t

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Solved: network problems when starting xend, Xen-3.0 + tg3
From: Ken Simpson <ksimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:11:14 -0800
Cc: doubleukay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:17:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Responding to a rather old post:

> > Ian Pratt wrote:
> > This is rather interesting. We use tg3 cards on many of our boxes and
> > haven't had problems.

> To be specific, it's the builtin NIC for the Dell Poweredge 850.
> Tigon3 [partno(BCM95721) rev 4101 PHY(5750)] (PCIX:100MHz:32-bit)

> > It should only be peth0 that needs to do autonegotation. Please
> > can you try a more minimal version of your patch that just
> > perturbs peth0.

> > Also, rather than "sleep 5", could you try polling for the link status
> > going "up".

> How about this: http://pastebin.ca/33278

I have the same problem on a SunFire X2100 with the tg3 driver. The
patch at the above URL fixes the problem. Apparently it just takes a
while for the device to auto-negotiate and therefore merging the
device into the bridge fails. Waiting for the device to come up fixes
the problem.

Thanks for the patch, Woon. It took about four hours to find the
solution to this problem -- not a fun time in the data center!

Regards,
Ken

--
MailChannels: Assured Messaging (TM) | http://mailchannels.com