Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3: Functional NAT Possible?

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3: Functional NAT Possible?
From: Jeff Utter <jeffutter.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:33:42 -0500
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:39:13 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:
I have been trying for days now to get a working nat setup with my domU's using the default nat scripts.

Just look at what the demo CD does for a nice example of how to set up
NAT.

Ian

Ok, i checked that out, and it seemed to help me figure it out a lot. It looks like the key i was missing was having dhcp=dhcp in my xend config. Now each time a vm starts up it edits my dhcpd config and sets it up for that VM and the vm gets an ip and is setup to connect to the Internet. Wonderful.

The problem still remains though, that each new VM i setup... or even if i stop a vm and start it, it ends up with a different ip. This makes the vm's pretty useless if i want to forward ports to the vms. I always specify mac id's for my vms:

vif = [ 'mac=00:50:22:22:22:02']

if i specify an ip aswell:

vif = [ 'mac=00:50:22:22:22:02, ip=10.0.1.2']

when i try to start that vm it complains something about vif 0 not being able to start

if i try to write my own host rule in my dhcpd config specifying an ip for that vm by mac id... if the vm starts on vif 15.0, on dom0 the ip will be 10.0.15.1 the domU would get 10.0.1.2 from the dhcp server, however the domU won't be able to access the Internet at all.

so.. i'm getting close, any more ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff