[Xen-users] Xen3.0, CentOS4.2, client spikes CPU and restarts

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen3.0, CentOS4.2, client spikes CPU and restarts
From: Eric <eb-xen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:50:27 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:25:25 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I installed from the binaries at

http://www.karan.org/mock/Xen/i386/

and followed the install portion of the script provided by Aaron. All seemed to go well. I then copied xmexample2 to my_xmconfig and made the following adjustments:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen"
memory = 128
vcpus = 1
nics=1
disk = [ 'phy:mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol0%d,sda1,w' % (3+vmid) ]
extra = "4 VMID=%d " % vmid

needless to say, I'm trying to run the client from a LogicalVolume :)

I made a snapshot of my running system (after installing xen) and copied it over to another volume (so I would have the same starting place). I fixed /etc/fstab, /etc/hosts and the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*eth0 (replacing the IP with the next available on this test network)

when I run:
xm create -c my_xmconfig vmid=1

All seems to go well, up to the point that the system reports:

NET: Registered protocol family 8
NET: Registered protocol family 20
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 184k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
unix: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
NET: Registered protocol family 1
Restarting system.

It looks like the client spikes its CPU to 100% and restarts after about 25 seconds. It feels like it is hanging while probing for devices..

I've checked the logs- xend-debug.log stays empty. The vif# continues to increase in xend-hotplug.log, but that seems to follow from the fact that the client keeps restarting. By the time this last attempt gave up, xend.log was reporting dom=173.

I haven't tried disabling the network yet, but it is next on my list...

Any suggestions for what I may have done wrong? What additional info would help?

Thanks,
Eric