Re: [Xen-users] Poor hard disk performance on xen-3/dom0

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Poor hard disk performance on xen-3/dom0
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:01:44 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Woon Wai Keen @ doubleukay.com" <doubleukay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:06:28 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ian Pratt wrote:
Compare the boot messages of vanilla vs. xen -- you're likely using a
different driver.

I know everyone always ignores me whenever I say this, but users really
should be using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U. The latter two are
just to make build times quicker for developers. The -xen kernel has way
more drivers, though built as modules, so you'll need to make an initrd.

I've always missed it (I don't read ALL threads). What exactly IS the -xen kernel?