RE: [Xen-users] Fixed MAC address causes spurios network connectivity lo

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Fixed MAC address causes spurios network connectivity loss
From: Eric Tessler <maiden1134@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:05:15 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:08:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I appear to be having the same problem. I have 5 domU's running on the same machine, all of them with assigned fixed MAC addresses (all unique). Occasionally one of the domU's losses its network access (there is very little network activity). I cannot ping it from the outside in dom0 or from the other domUs.  No error messages from XEN or Linux. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I did a network trace of the ping and it looks as if the ARP response is not getting back to the domU (when pinging from within domU).  If I manually update the ARP table in the domU myself, the ping starts working. Also, if I set the ageing on the bridge to be 0, this also fixes the problem (but a bad workaround).

I am using XEN 2.07 on an AMD opteron.

Has anyone resolved this problem?

Thanks,
Eric